Tuesday, July 23, 2013

Hi Everyone! This was a great week and so much fun!

First of all, I want to thank everyone for the awesome birthday cards and stuff! It made me so happy, and my companion was a little jealous. I felt so loved! I had an awesome birthday-we opened presents, and then we went to a zone lunch and everyone sang to me. I wore my crown all day. And then after that, we went to this member's house.  We are teaching her daughter who is 9, and she was baptized in November. (just so you know, this is all while I'm still in Kahala) We have been over there a few times now, and it was the best because they made us friendship bracelets, and they made me a birthday card. It was so cute. It said "Thank you for teaching me about Jesus and Happy Birthday!" And then after the lesson with her, they got out these cupcakes and she played Happy Birthday on the Piano, and they all sang to me. It was so awesome! I am going to miss those girls. Then we went to a baptism, and after that we went to Cold Stone with two other sisters and talked forever and told jokes. When we got home we made the little cake and lit the candles and sang again. It was really fun. I really did feel very loved and special, and I am so grateful.

So, I was beyond nervous for transfers-to the point that I was feeling a little sick. As I was praying, the answer I got was "It is going to be MORE than alright". So that really calmed my heart, and let me tell you, that has definitely come true! My companion is Sister Marshall from Los Angeles, California and she only has 3 months left on her mission, (which sucks a lot) but she is AWESOME! We are already really good friends. She is 24, but we get along great! I am in Kailua, Hawaii on Oahu and I am in the Kaneohe Zone. And guess what?! There are only two walking zones for sisters in the mission and I am in one! We don't have a car, but I love it! My muscles and feet hurt and we sweat so much it is gross, but I am already hecka tan and I love it! I love going home at night being completely exhausted and really feeling like I worked my hardest. I love walking around the neighborhoods-people love us and always wave at us. We walk at least 5 miles a day and it hurts, but I have never been happier. My homesickness is much less and there is not a lot of time to be homesick when we walk around all day. I really feel like a missionary. I totally understand why I am here. My companion is so happy and excited with me because she had really hard last few transfers, and that makes me feel good. She really needs me and she appreciates my work ethic.  

This area is a lot like Kahala. There are a lot of rich white people, and people are not all that receptive. But hey, I know no different, so bring it on! I love rich people who slam doors! But the coolest part is that we cover the Marine Base out here. A lot of our members are in the Military. That means they are really young and it is so refreshing! We have so much fun at dinner appointments. And I already have a boyfriend! He is 1 and a half, but I was just sitting on the couch and he just started kissing my legs. It was so funny, and his parents were mortified! The whole base thing is really hard because the Marines are crazy and we cannot go on base without a member and we cannot wear our tags or tract. So we really rely on the members. They take us on and off base, and then if we want to visit any members (like less actives) they have to know we are coming, or we have to go with a member. So yeah, it is really hard to get work done over there but we are trying our best and the members are really helpful. The other problem with that is the members move a lot, so we are losing a lot of really good families. But a lot of them are our age, so we have tons of fun. We are working with theses two marines who are 25 and 26 and they are hilarious! They are return Missionaries, but we are trying to reactivate them. They call me the Jew because my name sounds Jewish. I told them about my ancestor being the first Jew to join the church. Last night we were on the phone talking to them, and my companion is really good friends with them so I wasn't really saying much, plus I had not met them yet, but all of the sudden he was like "Where is the Jew? I want to talk to the Jew!" I met him today, and he was like "It is very nice to meet you Jew." I love it. I think it is hilarious, and I am going to start calling him Goliath because he is six-seven.

You are not going to believe it, but I went fishing this Morning! It was really fun. We sat on the pier and fished with our ward mission leader. He is this big Hawaiian guy...so you can just guess how much fun that was. We were fishing with Blood Meat (which is gross by the way), and we sat there for 3 and a half hours (this is when I met our marine friend). I saw a sea turtle, a puffer fish, a stick fish, and all these cool tropical fish. We fished on base, so we also got to watch the huge jets and planes take off. It was so awesome! And....I caught a fish!!! It was a tiny Surgeon fish, but it was flippin' awesome. I will send you pictures next week.

I love you very much! Don't do anything stupid! Love you! Everyone write me more letters...cough, cough...Millie...!

Love, Sister Hoskins

P.S Apparently, the Obama's vacation home is in my area...gross. I will just convert him I guess.

No comments:

Post a Comment